Saturday 30 November 2019

The Inner Critic - Art Journey - Help From Gary Gumble

In my last post I went through my whole journey up to my final painting in 2016 before I quit having suffered a grief.  When my lovely dog passed away in October 2016 I could not face painting or drawing or art or anything.  I got rid of all my art and most of my art materials and did not go near it again.  The final thing I had done was to ask Gary Gumble at Beginning Artist for advice on how to improve with my art.  Here is his reply to my letter:


Hello Bernadette,

Thank you very much for your email. Believe me; what you are experiencing is not unique to you. Many beginners struggle with that judgmental voice we all have in our heads. That voice that tries to convince us that what we do must be perfect or it's no good. I've had to fight with that voice many times over the years. I've learned that most of the time that voice is very wrong. It creates limits on what we can accomplish that don't otherwise exist.

You mention that you can copy quite well. That's a great beginning point for art. By learning to copy well you're establishing a good foundation for growing beyond that point.

I would love to give you more specific advice if I could see some of your work. Would you be willing to email me photographs of a few drawings and a few paintings? (Finished or unfinished is fine.)

Best Wishes,

Gary Gumble

I did send him some of my sketches to look at but right away his immediate insight and pinpointing of the Inner Critic was incredible!  It was so true.  I was really limiting myself, creating restrictions and worrying too much, aiming for perfection.  It really really helped!  Sadly it was not until 1 year later in 2017 that I felt able to reply and perhaps venture along the art journey once more:



Dear Gary,
Thank you so much for getting back to me.  I found your email buried amongst other emails from a long time ago and I have been meaning to write back.   Many things happened after I wrote to you and I found myself abandoning art.  I still enjoy your newsletter emails but I have not personally continued with any artwork for almost a year now.  I keep wishing to and I have a journal where I copy various passages of texts and things and I occasionally like to draw in something but as I said before, unless I copy, I cannot seem to do anything.
 
As suggested, I am attaching some pictures of some of the artwork I have done in the past.  What I wish to do is to be able to draw, I like pencils, but when I think and hover over the page, I literally cannot do anything unless it is a 2D childish drawing.  It's different if I copy though.  It seems strange.  I see peoples examples of their notebooks and things, with thoughts or ideas or even a collection of drawings but I don't know how to go about that kind of thing. I hope that makes sense and that you can give me some tips.I am attaching some sketches.  I went through a tutorial book and these are a few of the exercises.  The gramophone I copied off of a random image from Google Images and was pleased with.
 
Best Wishes and thanks
Bernadette 


The images I sent were of the first sketches and the gramophone that appear on this blog in my first posts.  I am including his correspondence as it's just remarkable:

Hi Bernadette,
 
I was pleased to see your drawings and sorry to hear you have stopped doing them, even though you say you keep wishing to start. My impression from looking at your drawings and from what you said in your email is that you are expecting way too much of yourself for the stage you are at. That perfectionism, which I can recognize because it is part of me as well, can be self-defeating. It becomes a Catch 22. You are unable to meet your too-high expectations because you aren't experienced enough yet. And you can't become experienced enough because the critic in your mind tells you that you can never reach the lofty expectations it sets.
 
Well, speaking as an experienced artist who has had to deal with his own inner critic, I don't find your drawings "childish" at all. Do some of them show inexperience? Of course they do. You are inexperienced. But some also show a good eye for shape and proportion. The purse, the fruit and especially the gramophone are drawn very well. Doing simple line drawings doesn't mean they are childish. They would only look childish if the shapes and proportions were way off.
 
Gramophone copied from Google Images
I was especially impressed with the gramophone. What immediately caught my eye was how well you drew the speaker part of this device. The ellipse formed by the flared end of it is very well done. So is the inside of speaker cone. These are things that usually trip up beginning artists.
 
Another sign of that damn inner critic is when you say all you can do is copy. Well, copying is where everyone starts, me included. You have no right to compare your efforts to people who have much more experience doing journals and sketchbooks. More creativity in what you do comes with experience.
 
You copy. As you begin to feel more in control of the medium you are using, you become more confident and more willing to "color outside the lines", so to speak. You become more willing to experiment and see what happens. Gradually you become more and more creative….and you learn to ignore the inner critic.
 
But first you need to allow drawing to just be fun. No more expectations or intentions than that. If your mind starts ranting that something you've drawn "should be" better or "should be" this or "should be" that, that is your self-defeating inner critic talking. The main thing drawing "should be" is fun.
 
So, my conclusion is that your drawings already show that you have the ability to learn to draw well. The only question in my mind is will you begin to do that or will you let your inner critic continue to defeat you?
 
Here's hoping you choose the first option.
 
Gary Gumble


The best part of the correspondence in the following weeks and kind of summary or mantra I like is to keep it fun.  Gary sent the follow reply and the final sentence is so worth holding onto and really made me laugh: 


I'm pleased to hear that I was of some help to you. And I am pleased to hear you are sketching again. The really important thing is to keep it fun and keep a careful watch out for when that critic tries to sneak back into your thoughts with negativity. Resist!
 
Say, "Thank you for sharing, but I'm going to ignore you."

No comments:

Post a Comment